- The Jaguari Hydropowerplant belongs to CESP-Companhia Energetica de Sao Paulo and is located in the Paraiba do Sul River, in São Paulo State, Brazil. The plant started operating in 1973 and has two generating units totaling an installed capacity of 27.6 MW. The water intake is a tower type structure 63m high. In 2003, almost 30 years after its conclusion alkali-aggregate reaction was discovered in the concrete of the water intake. CESP, the owner started a process to check the problem through several laboratory tests and installed instrumentation in 2009 in order to evaluate the level of expansion and to avoid eventual future problems like misalignments or blockages of the trashrack and/or the stoplogs. Readings are taken on a regular basis and they will provide information as to when concrete repairs should be done.
To book your tour please click here.
Visit in Paulo Afonso Hydroelectric Complex
- The Paulo Afonso Hydroelectric Complex is situated in the São Francisco River, near the city of Paulo Afonso – BA, comprising five hydro power plants (Paulo Afonso I, II, III, IV and Moxoto)
- The construction of Paulo Afonso I started in March of 1949. The project consists of a gravity dam, spillway system and an underground powerhouse that started to operate in 1954. The construction of the second powerhouse has begun in 1955 and started to generate in 1961. The Paulo Alfonso III powerhouse had the beginning of construction in 1967 and is in operation since 1971.
- The first symptoms of the alkali aggregate reaction (AAR) were observed in the end of years 70 in PA II. The monitoring plan of the concrete structures had for objective to measure the concrete expansion rates at the vertical and horizontal directions, through rod extensometers, in order to evaluate its influence on the generation equipments.
- Moxotó Hydro electrical Power Plant, is located in the state of Alagoas, immediately upstream to Paulo Afonso I, II and III power plants. The Water Intake – Power Station concrete structures have a maximum 59,50m height and 30,50m wide blocks, totalizing a 122,00m length, plus an assembling area, and is equipped with 4 generating units of 110 MW driven by Kaplan Turbines. The construction began in 1972, having its reservoir been filled up in mid 1976. First generating unit started commercial operation in 1977. Since the early stage of the commercial exploitation, the units presented an abnormal performance with progressive shifting and tilting of the turbine shaft that finally lead to the rubbing of the blades on the discharge ring. First evidences of alkali-aggregate reactivity - AAR - in Moxotó Plant date from 1979, i.e., only two years after Plant first operation, when a whole series of cracks on its walls and slabs had started to draw the attention of CHESF's technicians.
- The Paulo Afonso IV Power Plant was built between 1975 and 1981, near the Paulo Afonso falls. The underground powerhouse is equipped with six 410 MW Francis turbines and began operation in December of 1979. The concrete structures are undergoing a process of expansive reaction which is seriously affecting the generating units. The power intake comprises 6 concrete blocks, 27.5 m wide, and 6 steel penstocks with a diameter of 8.7 m and 156.8 m long. The penstocks are composed of the following components: upper elbow with a circular curve encased in the concrete block, vertical section, lower elbow and horizontal section excavated in sound rock. All sections are lined with steel plating. The concrete blocks encasing the upper elbows are showing cracks due to the AAR and possibly causing distress in the steel penstocks.
- JUNE 30
- - Shuttle Aracaju Airport to Paulo Afonso
- Day off
- JULY 01
- - Van at disposal to get in a Paulo Afonso Hotel and make the visits and to go back in a time to be defined.
- TECNICAL VISIT OF RAA (MOXOTÓ E PA IV) – COURTESY CHESF
- TECNICAL VISIT OF USINAS DE PA I, PA II e PA III – COURTESY CHESF
- JULY 02
- - 07:00 A.M – After Breakfast, Paulo Afonso departure for the Catamarã to visit the Cânion;
- 12:00 P.M – Stop to lunch in Karrancas Restaurant -R$ 38,00 per person (Optional - buffet free).
- 13:30 P.M – Shuttle to Aracaju
- TOTAL AMOUNT OF THE PACKAGE IN A SINGLE ROOM – BRL 2.216,55 per person
- TOTAL AMOUNT OF THE PACKAGE IN A DOUBLE ROOM – BRL 1.957,85 per person
- Belvedere Hotel – 3*
Apolonísio Sales Avenue, 457, Centro
Standard Room – Breakfast Included
- Route: Guarulhos (GRU) > Aracaju - June 30
- Departure Time (June 30 02:40 PM)
- Arrival Time (June 30 05:30 P.M)
- Route: Aracaju (AJU) > Guarulhos (GRU) - July 02
- Departure Time (July 02 06:00 PM)
- Arrival Time (July 02 09:10 P.M)
- * Estimated values for minimum group of 10 people.
- * Prices and availability are subject to change without notice.
- * Schedule may change without notice.
- * Technical visit should be made by an employee of Chesf (reservation required and prior appointment).
- As agreed between client and Chesf the visits if confirmed will be granted free of charge.
To book your tour please click here.